This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

NAS/Fire on the Aran Islands?
Read about a CG medevac on the news from InishMor recently, and it got me thinking...do they have an EMS staff on the islands, response car or ambulance? if so, which poor souls from the NAS end up being put there.
Is there any fire tendors? What happens if theres a car crash etc?

Apparently theres a few OMAC units on the islands but I dont have the best preconceptions about them tbh, no idea why.

Must be fairly shite living there although tbh even if the ambulance got the ferry from galway I'm sure it would get there as quick as any other county. 49
As far as I know CG helicopter is the emergency ambulance for the islands. With a doctor and a nurse on the island, open to correction on this, just going by what I saw on the R116 docco.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
omac has units on a few of the islands. I know 2 islands have omac Paramedics on them but it is the island community nurse and GP that deal with most 999 ambulance calls on the islands with the CG or RNLI being the method of transport to hospital.
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Heres an interesting article I dug up. This one is from a 22square km island of Arranmore (not to be confused with the aran islands) off the coast of donegal, with a population of 514 people.
They appear to have an ambulance.

http://www.arainnmhor.com/Arainn_Mhor_Is...nders.html
I believe Inishmor and Inisheer have a doc and nurse, Inishmaan has just a nurse. Hse supply transit connect type van connect for personnel. As someone said CG is the ambulance but there would want to be something wrong with ya for it to be requested.
There is (or at least there was a few years ago) a retained fire crews on Inis Mor. Some of the crew were also crew on the RNLI lifeboat.
There was a GP and a public health nurse based at the health centre. There was another GP living on the island, and one of them was always available in an emergency. I think that there was a jeep that could take a stretcher if necessary.
Any urgent medical cases would be evacuated by air or by lifeboat.

It's a few years since I visited there so it may have changed in the meantime, but in general the people of Inis Mor had probably better cover than many places in Ireland. The other islands had at least a PHN.
Yea there's a retained station behind the supermacs/shop on inis mhór. Think any of the islands with a landing strip would have to have some sort of fire cover, if even a jeep (robbed from blues n' twos)

[Image: 8b97568980d52b36fcf99d905ac1aee7.jpg]

[Image: 9a0578ea3e7ae794f85cbab1fafee21e.jpg]
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
wow thats a nice little truck they have. Yeah good point, I never thought about the airports and how they would have to have some sort of fire vehicle.
When I was over on Inisheer a few years back the "airport"  148 had a jeep that doubled as a fire response. I'm a member here for years but still can't post pics so use your imagination!  136
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
The island airfield rffs appliances are listed on blues&twos too:

http://www.blues-twos.com/Regional-Airpo...r-4th-2014

Very aircraft / rffs specific, couple of hundred litres of foam is still better than a stirrup pump though, in fairness.

Arranmore has a station too:
http://www.blues-twos.com/Donegal-UPDATE...ember-2013

Tory island has a volunteer brigade that is linked to, but not part of Donegal fire service too, I seem to recall the King of Tory, Patsy Dan Rodgers is in charge of it.
This mentions the situation in Donegal:

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalc...et2013.pdf

Says first aid firefighting equipment was provided to some smaller islands in addition to Tory and Aran Mor
There's a full retained service on Inis Mor, they cover the other islands as required. Had a few of them on a BA wearers course a few years back.
They have a "midi" fire appliance built by Sidheain Teo.
The landing strips at the three islands are/were under the control of Aer Aran and are only Cat 1 meaning you need very little firefighting equip to cover it. Plus because it's not open to aircraft except Aer Aran they only need cover for the arrival and departure times.

Here's the midi appliance and I think they have a jeep or a van as well.
(22-10-2014, 08:17 PM)civdef Wrote: The island airfield rffs appliances are listed on blues&twos too:

http://www.blues-twos.com/Regional-Airpo...r-4th-2014

Very aircraft / rffs specific, couple of hundred litres of foam is still better than a stirrup pump though, in fairness.

Arranmore has a station too:
http://www.blues-twos.com/Donegal-UPDATE...ember-2013

Tory island has a volunteer brigade that is linked to, but not part of Donegal fire service too, I seem to recall the King of Tory, Patsy Dan Rodgers is in charge of it.

The legend of King Patsy. Also the OIC of the CG on Tory for a long time.
(22-10-2014, 07:23 PM)Command Support Wrote: Yea there's a retained station behind the supermacs/shop on inis mhór. Think any of the islands with a landing strip would have to have some sort of fire cover, if even a jeep (robbed from blues n' twos)

[Image: 8b97568980d52b36fcf99d905ac1aee7.jpg]

[Image: 9a0578ea3e7ae794f85cbab1fafee21e.jpg]

They have a Supermacs? wow, I am impressed.
Using Tapatalk
The islands off Galway are serviced by CG and RNLI to ferry patients to the mainland. Inismor has a doc in a jeep kitted out by NAS for the population there.
She was featured a few times in the documentary done on R115 a few years back wasn't she?
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
She can be found most evenings in the local tavern
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!