This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

ES tips for those on Placement or are just new
I was looking through the site in the last week or so and was surprised that I would find this topic already talked about in its own thread.

So what is your Tips for the Newbie or to the student on Placement 19
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Learn how to make a good pot of tea and bring either cake or biscuits on your first night. Good start and all that.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
oh biscuits better get some :P
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
Listen
Listen
Listen
Act when told
Listen
Listen
Only offer opinion when asked
Listen
Listen
Talk

Biscuits as said by CS are a must
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Youve two ears and only one mouth for a reason

Experience > theory. Get hands on when told, remember you're entering someone's work place where they've established a way of doing things. Go with the flow

Learn as much as you can

And bring food. Cake preferably
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Remember that caffeine is a blood type for shift workers! Any smart comments about intake could be fatal!
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
Good thing I live on caffeine just mine isint of the coffee type :P

Lads what is the best biscuits to bring ??
A selection
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Any hints to brands :P
Depends on the service your going into
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Can't go wrong with Choco digestives and Choco chip
Ask questions. If you are asked to do something and are unsure say so. Ask can you help with anything. Enjoy it.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Chocolate is always a winner or Mikado
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
It's better to seek help than do it wrong.

We all had a first day, etc and anyone that's forgotten that is just being ignorant.
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
You can only learn so much from a book, the people who have been doing the job for years know a hell of a lot more than you can read in a book.

Never say the words "Thats not how we did it in training" when talking to an old hand.

Never correct an old hand, odds on you are wrong.

as the lads have said and it is the best advice, shut the cake hole and open the ear holes.

Listen to the old war stories, most of them actually have a learning point that could save your ass.

Burbon creams can be found in every fire station in the country except Brigades in which case it is Garibaldies
Dont be surprised if you end up sitting at the station for 12 hours and only do 1 or 2 calls. Dont be disappointed if they're BS calls or just routine patient transfers, you can still learn a lot from those.

if you're offered more placement time, take it. You will only get these opportunities now, once you're qualified forget about it.
5 calls in and 90 mins to go not to bad 19 oh and biscuits went down well 19
(07-12-2014, 06:30 AM)amboman bobby Wrote: 5 calls in and 90 mins to go not to bad 19 oh and biscuits went down well 19

Hah, I got 5 calls in 12 hours on my busiest day. 1 call in 12 on my quietest.
Yeah got 5 calls last night lets see how tonight goes :P
Be your own man/woman, and develop your own ways of dealing with stuff...

(I'm a skinny little guy, if I did things the way a 6ft 4 lad does id be dead a long time ago)

Treat everyone as you'd hope your family would be treated ... Until they give you reason to do otherwise.

If you weren't there don't believe anyone's story about what happened!! There's three sides to every story, our side, their side and the truth!!

When dealing with the public assume everything's recorded,  being polite really annoys muppets!!