This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Storage of vehicles.
Just wondering here where exactly do the various voluntaries store their vehicles when not in use.
In the garage in the base.
As above
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
secure location where there is security officers onsite 24/7 19
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
I've seen irc in bons socours glasnevin, possibly irc in cherry orchard hospital.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
HQ, fire stations, council yards, training centres, garages, etc
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
Garda Stations.
And is it through having members in these occupations or knowing the right people
Well sure, knowing the right people always helps...
I ain't telling you nuffink!! 
When you think about it, an unhinged ferris wheel rolling towards the sea, is just a windmill full of corpses.
I've heard some establishments ( generally those with no taste ) will accept tins of Danish Butter Cookies to influence the process.
Locked compound at our HQ. But they've been damaged before so it's not the safest.
Lots of unit's dont have places to park their vehicles so they just park them outside the OC's house or someone elses.
In the garage 
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
In a related question is there any voluntaries out there who have sought and received exemptions on commercial rates for the storage of their vehicles in a commercial premise that they own or rent
The Valuation Act gives details of the exemptions, it's not automatic and as far as I know you have to apply fairly soon as the valuations are usually done early in the year:
Schedule 4 of the Act stipulates a range of exemptions for charities.  Specific exemptions apply to buildings occupied/used:
  • exclusively for public religious worship;
  • caring for the sick / treatment of illnesses / maternity;
  • School, College, University, Institute of Technology or any other educational institution for educational services and either funded by the Exchequer or else not conducted for the purposes of making a private profit and available to the general public (whether with or without a charge being made therefor);
  • Art Gallery / Museum / Library / Park open to the general public;
  • Occupied for the purpose of caring for the elderly, handicapped or disabled person not conducted for the purpose of making a private profit or funded by the Exchequer;
  • exclusively as a community hall;
  • conservation of the natural and built endowments in the State otherwise than for private profit;
  • advancement of science, literature or the fine arts, otherwise than for private profit.
Apart from the foregoing exemptions, there is a general charitable exemption for any land, building or part of a building: 

(a) occupied by a charitable organisation; 
(b) that uses same exclusively for charitable purposes; and 
© otherwise than for private profit. 

A charitable organisation is defined in the legislation which coincides largely with the standard requirements imposed by Revenue, on an application for a CHY/charity number, in the constitutional documents of the charity.  These documents and the accounts of the charity are scrutinised by the Tribunal in determining qualification for exemption. 

The fact that you may have a Revenue CHY/charity number does not automatically entitle you to exemption from rates.  To do so, you must meet the specific exemption conditions specified in the Act and summarised above.  There is a substantial body of case law which took a very restrictive approach to the interpretation of “charitable purposes” under the earlier legislation.  However, that legislation has been repealed and replaced by the Act and the High Court, in the case of St. Vincentâ€s Healthcare Group (26th February 2009), expressed the view that it is necessary to exercise some caution in having recourse to the earlier case law.  That case found that a stand-alone car park serving the hospital (operated by an outside management company on behalf of the hospital) was nevertheless regarded as part of the hospital and accordingly qualified for exemption - the same should apply to administration offices of a charity.
Cheers....

I found that article earlier today...

I was more enquiring upon specific examples from voluntaries and difficulties encountered
Various places if they have a base there if not fire stations Garda stations ambulance stations or hospitals mostly
I'm a bit curious....Why wouldn't OMAC not already know and be able to advise about storing vehicles and exemptions also?? Surely this has come up already in other units?
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
This post has been repped by: MRX (3),

I was only enquiring based on my own curiosity. How other orgs do it and difficulties they might have encountered seeking rates exemptions... Sharing a building for example.

Given the ever increasing amount of vol orgs and number of vehicles out there I was wondering is there a common trend amongst the voluntries.

Can't speak for OMAC HQ or other units