This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Ambulance Stretcher Placement
Here's one for ya

One of the many many random thoughts that popped into my head today.

Why do the vast majority of ambulances have the stretcher placed on the drivers side??

Thinking about it I can't see a reason why. But have a few reasons why not....

For example in an ambo with a walkthrough the driver would be better able to see pt and crew mate if on passenger side through use of rearview mirror 

Ambos with tail lifts.....you're parked at the side of the road, to load the patient onto tail lift you need to bring them closer to traffic in order to do so.

Anyone any thoughts or reasons why theyre on the drivers side? Even in the states if they're not centre mounted they seem to favour putting them on drivers side of vehicle? Is it just one of those things that one or two manufacturers did it then everyone else followed suit as it "was just the way its done" or is there a reason??
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
I was always told it was because the road is higher that side.
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
I would guess it's traditional.

Problem in Ireland is that when you place your patient in the left lateral position they end up facing away from you, not a problem in the US.
General consensus is that the road is better in the centre....less pot holes etc
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Left lateral only for maternity cases and the amount of time you need to do that would not be significant to have the cot on the other side
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
PS gave you the info earlier @EMTeabreak on the rational for offside stretcher placement in a vehicle
(02-02-2015, 06:41 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: PS gave you the info earlier @EMTeabreak on the rational for offside stretcher placement in a vehicle
You sure did. Cheers for that
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Maybe it's to do with the side door? Couldn't have the side door on same side as stretcher and could have the side door on the drivers side?

That and tradition? I'm sure there's some form of good reason!
Wasn't a side door until recently
(02-02-2015, 08:51 PM)wex-eire Wrote: Maybe it's to do with the side door? Couldn't have the side door on same side as stretcher and could have the side door on the drivers side?

That and tradition? I'm sure there's some form of good reason!
What AP told me about its the smoothest position in the road.....ie less pot holes etc seems to be the general consensus for the placement
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
In medicine you examine your patient from the right hand side. I had always assumed it was to do with that
(12-04-2015, 06:04 PM)antichrist Wrote: In medicine you examine your patient from the right hand side. I had always assumed it was to do with that

American ambulances are the opposite side, so examining from the left of the medic