This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Reservists to get Extra Powers
From RTE News;

The Garda Commissioner is set to widen the powers and duties of the Garda Reserve.

RTÉ News has learned that, after an internal review of the 1,000 member Garda Reserve by the Garda Commissioner Nóirín O'Sullivan, it has been decided to extend their powers to include issuing penalty points and serving summons to motorists and the power to seize vehicles.

Members of the voluntary unpaid body will also be issue with TETRA radios when going on duty.

Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald confirmed in the Dáil this morning that the Commissioner is finalising arrangements to extend the powers so that the Reserve "can make a greater contribution to policing."

She said that recruitment to the Garda Reserve slowed down last year as the Public Appointments Service was focused on recruitment to An Garda Síochána.

However, there will 'more accelerated recruitment to the Garda Reserve' this year.

RTÉ has learned that under the new proposals, members of the a voluntary unpaid body are also set to be given additional training in areas such as domestic violence, child protection, conflict resolution, garda policy on bullying and harassment, and Out of Vehicle Safety Training (OVST).

The Garda Reserve was established under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and members have certain garda powers while on duty and perform their policing duties as determined by the Commissioner, under the supervision of and supported by regular garda members.

Among the existing duties of Garda Reserve members are station duties, monitoring CCTV, foot patrol accompanied by full-time Garda members, and providing cordons at major events such as festivals and sporting events.

Some people have used the Garda Reserve as a stepping-stone for entry into the force.

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil this morning that "23 members of the first group who entered the college in Templemore had been members of the Garda Reserve. Some 17 former members of the Garda Reserve were in the second batch of 100 new recruits, while 13 former members were in the third batch of 100 new recruits."

Minister Fitzgerald has welcomed confirmation from the Commissioner that she is finalising arrangements for the extension of powers and facilities to Garda Reserve.

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil today that as of 31 December 2014, the latest date for which figures are available, there were 1,124 Garda Reserve members with a further 48 in training.

There are 12,799 members in An Garda Síochána.
There's a course on how to get out of a vehicle???
Apparently it's a major issue  70
(20-02-2015, 06:55 AM)thehawk Wrote: There's a course on how to get out of a vehicle???

How to properly position your car on traffic stops and collisions etc.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Yes and it's actually a good one. And it doesn't mention human rights at all
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Em Reserves already get tetra??
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Am I right in saying reservists don't drive

So is it not the drivers responsibility to park the car appropriately for the scene?
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(20-02-2015, 07:01 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Am I right in saying reservists don't drive

So is it not the drivers responsibility to park the car appropriately for the scene?

They don't and it is. But we don't currently receive training in how to do it.

(20-02-2015, 07:06 PM)foreign Wrote:
(20-02-2015, 07:01 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote: Am I right in saying reservists don't drive

They don't and it is. But we don't currently receive training in how to do it.
So why are they being trained in it?? Just train all drivers
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
it more than that, it also covers how to approach a car on a motorway / busy road and other safety things like setting out signage at RTAs
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
It's scary to see how some members position vehicles on motorways at collisions 

Shortly after I arrived in Ardee after being in traffic we landed out at an RTC on M1 and skipper from night unit asked me why I positioned car so far back and fending off 2 lanes to push all the traffic into lane 2

When I say after explaining she had the blankest expression on her face I could have used it as a whiteboard!!! 

Not a fucking clue!!! 

So almost 7 years on to see courses being rolled out its a godsend 
Sorry but HOW many copies of this do you want????
(20-02-2015, 09:21 PM)jmcd432 Wrote: It's scary to see how some members position vehicles on motorways at collisions 

Shortly after I arrived in Ardee after being in traffic we landed out at an RTC on M1 and skipper from night unit asked me why I positioned car so far back and fending off 2 lanes to push all the traffic into lane 2

When I say after explaining she had the blankest expression on her face I could have used it as a whiteboard!!! 

Not a fucking clue!!! 

Plenty of lads park right up on the bumpers of crashed cars, because the don't want to walk.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
(20-02-2015, 08:15 PM)vidar Wrote: it more than that, it also covers how to approach a car on a motorway / busy road and other safety things like setting out signage at RTAs
Ah ok that makes more sense
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
(20-02-2015, 09:21 PM)jmcd432 Wrote: It's scary to see how some members position vehicles on motorways at collisions 

Not a fucking clue!!! 

What about wearing hivis at the road side. The amount that don't is shocking. Even on motorways. Sure I almost hit a traffic corps member driving up to you one night. It just happens I caught a glimpse of a bit of reflective from the badge on the front of his fleece
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Sure they'll now be able to tell the untrained CBD1 mule where to park :-)
(21-02-2015, 04:48 PM)thehawk Wrote: Sure they'll now be able to tell the untrained CBD1 mule where to park :-)

(21-02-2015, 04:48 PM)thehawk Wrote: Sure they'll now be able to tell the untrained CBD1 mule where to park :-)

Sure CBD1 is only for non frontline members. They won't be attending collisions or conducting checkpoints! 

This post has been repped by: jmcd432 (3), thehawk (4),