This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

NCT and Penalty Points
Hypothetical question.
Let's say my NCT expires on the 1st Jan. I can't get a test done until say 1st Feb. And in the interim I've been stopped for not having a valid NCT and receive a fixed penalty notice.
Then I present my car on the 1st Feb and it passes but the NCT cert is automatically back dated to 1st Jan the date it originally expired.
So is the NCT wrong for issuing the cert or is the fixed notice invalid??!
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone to do you for no NCT providing you have proof that your NCT is booked

That being said on the basis of your question firstly ticket would be valid as at the time of the commission of the alleged offence you had no NCT, no NCT on display and failed to produce your NCT withing 10 days

Secondly NCT will only issue the disc/cert from the day of test and won't backdate same 
Sorry but HOW many copies of this do you want????
Well it's not mine but it was a discussion, we thought that the cert was issued from the date due but it's actually that you "loose" the time you were out of cert?
correct, it would be valid for 1 year 11 months instead of the planned 2 years.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
correct same with CRW (doe) now
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
But if you do it early you loose the time as well because the nct is valid from the date you did it, so no much incentive there....
(05-04-2015, 09:54 PM)jmcd432 Wrote: You'd be hard pressed to find anyone to do you for no NCT providing you have proof that your NCT is booked

That being said on the basis of your question firstly ticket would be valid as at the time of the commission of the alleged offence you had no NCT, no NCT on display and failed to produce your NCT withing 10 days

Secondly NCT will only issue the disc/cert from the day of test and won't backdate same 

Really?? Not down this way considering most people have been booking then cancelling tests and just showing the text to mules on the roadside and driving on laughing. It's pretty much black list now depending on the attitude test

As the lads said it is issued from the date of the test but the expiry would be less than the two years.
“The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.”
― Albert Einstein
(05-04-2015, 11:12 PM)Brigade Wrote: But if you do it early you loose the time as well because the nct is valid from the date you did it, so no much incentive there....

Better than walking home if it's expired!
― Albert Einstein
But it's daft. If I apply within the 90 days " early period", I loose the remaining valid time on my existing cert, but if I leave to apply within the month it's due you could be waiting. 3 months and are at the risk of points? 
My cert was out in Jan and applied in Jan and got offered a date in June FFS! If I applied in November when there was a slot free my next due date would revert to Nov 2 years.

Looks as if you loose everyway.
@brigade they are obliged to provide you with a date within 28 days of expiry of your cert or they have to do the test FOC

I rang them last Tuesday and said I wanted to book my car and earliest date was early July 

"We'll put you on the urgent list and you'll get a text within 2 weeks with a date" 
No 28 days from when you book, not from when your cert is up.
Well I rang to book it just as my cert ran out, but yea that's what I meant 28 days from looking for a date for test
Mine expired the end of January, booked early January and earliest I could get was March. Rang priority line and they cancelled my test, got the message like jmcd and a few weeks later got a date at the end of April.

the system is failing decent drivers and any mule who does someone out a short time and has a booking needs to take a look at themselves. Create Intel if you think they are taking the piss so if they're stopped after due date you can do them then.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
This post has been repped by: jmcd432 (3),

Plenty of mules especially that rare species trafficus cunticus who will do you for no valid nct disc displayed coupled with no valid nct test on a car - 2 different summonses  70 148
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum
@IM its now gone to FCPS

@brigade  is it not a case that if your test is due say on 1st jan but you do it in the early testing period sept-31 dec, that your cert is valid from teh 1st jan this for 24 months
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
As vicar said, doing it early gives you 2 years + whatever months you were early.

When you take the test does not decide the expiry date. It's also why I don't let people off for expired nct certs. In Dublin you will get a date within a few weeks of booking.
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
(06-04-2015, 09:51 AM)ERU Wrote: As vicar said, doing it early gives you 2 years + whatever months you were early.

When you take the test does not decide the expiry date. It's also why I don't let people off for expired nct certs. In Dublin you will get a date within a few weeks of booking.

No you won't. Three months. I even rang again about the 24 hour center and no joy.

(06-04-2015, 12:36 AM)foreign Wrote: the system is failing decent drivers and any mule who does someone out a short time and has a booking needs to take a look at themselves. Create Intel if you think they are taking the piss so if they're stopped after due date you can do them then.

So do you not see any road safety value in the NCT? 

I NCT'd my car recently. Got a date two months away. Told them I was refusing that date as my NCT was out in three weeks. Got a date for the following week. I didn't get a choice in time or day but I got it. It can be done.

And now you suggest create Intel on someone.....criminal intelligence....For an NCT?? Serious? And mentioned in the public forum???

So here I am looking at myself for the last 20 mins. ......what exactly am I looking for?? (Although I am enjoying looking at myself). Most Gardai haven't a clue about mechanics or what makes a car roadworthy. NCT is obviously only an indicator on the day of the test but it's an indicator none the less for members on the roadside. Whatever people say about the NCT, it has removed most shit boxes from the road. Would you prefer a vehicle with no insurance on the road. ...or one with no NCT that is totally unroadworthy? Flip of a coin but I would expect the unroadworthy car to be in an accident far sooner than a car with no insurance. 
― Albert Einstein
I never said anything about there being no value in the NCT. My point is that it is not working efficiently at the moment so I would use my discretion dealing with genuine motorists. 

(06-04-2015, 11:51 AM)foreign Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 09:51 AM)ERU Wrote: As vicar said, doing it early gives you 2 years + whatever months you were early.

No you won't. Three months. I even rang again about the 24 hour center and no joy.

I booked on the 28th December for the 6th January online. OK wasnt my local nct centre but was only another 20 minutes away.

It failed and was taken back on the 8th for retest, again not the local centre
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.