This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hose Reels...
http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/sco...s-1.862954
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
Read that, but it's not clear what type of hose reel it is. There's plenty of yellow hose going around that doesn't cause a problem.
Fairly basic thing up get right though isn't it.
Not the first big f..k up there though, wasn't all the hydraulic hose withdrawn up there as well because they bought cheap after market shite?
But, but they have a wonderful big national fire service with central procurement - everyone says that's best.....

*sarcasm may apply.
More info on the hose type would have been useful, yellow first aid reels does not help, one of ours is yellow but we have never had a problem with it.
(13-04-2015, 07:54 AM)civdef Wrote: But, but they have a wonderful big national fire service with central procurement - everyone says that's best.....

*sarcasm may apply.

Ah but this wasn't procured centrally it was procured by the old Central Scotland Fire Brigade and further more at least the issue is highlighted unlike here when you'd be told a garden hose meets the requirement .
Got the impression from the article the appliances are new, thought the Central Scotland referred to CARPS, anyhow, odd thing about this is the Scottish Fire Service spec sheet for WrTs calls up the JCCD spec for hose reel tubing, so this could just be a supplier issue?

My take on central procurement is that is probably doesn't make screwups any less or more frequent, just bigger. Here that tubing could have arrived on one or two new appliances, been quickly discovered as shit and quickly replaced.
[Image: 833b42934fd39aaea86f263933594918.jpg]

[Image: 0b41fb20f467213afd0e11f16144e735.jpg]
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
This post has been repped by: Brigade (5),

I was just going to post that U heard it was not just new appliances but it is replacement hose also.
Sounds like a crock of shit to me.
I doubt if there's any difference between the two. We started buying yellow Goodyear hose as reacement hose in the last two years and think it's perfect.

Much more interesting though is that they apparently don't allow hose reel for compartment fires. Now that would rattle a few cages here!
Health & Safety gone mad. We nearly always used a first aid reel to fight all fires within reach of it.......a very fast way to get water on a fire instead of dragging a heavy hose reel into a house. 
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
A blanket ban on hose reels for compartment fires is overkill. Each fire needs to be judged on it's own merits to decide what hose is required.

However, the line of thought that a hose reel is automatically chosen for a house fire is flawed. Too much dependance built up over the years using hose reels as an automatic response irrespective of the conditions presented.

As far as I'm concerned a well developed house fire is a 51mm job.  A flaked 51mm can be deployed nearly as quick as a hosereel. Obviously, securing a water supply becomes more important with the 51mm.

Over the last few years we've gone back to using lay flat hose much more than previously. Even when hose reels are used a lot of the time a 51mm back up is made down.The decison needs to be made at the scene..........not in the Health and Safety office back in HQ
We still use 45mm haven't gone down the road of 51mm although to confuse things we use 52mm for CAFs.
45 is made down for every structural fire anyway and I agree they are not used often enough.
Personally I blame CFBT training where it's not impressed strongly enough on students that we're dealing with a dinky sized fire in a small compartment and big fires need big water.
And as for that standard department lecture where it says two rooms fully involved can be tackled with a hose reel.
They can go fuck....
There was two specs for the recent SFRS pumps and two differrent suppliers. It's could also be down to retro fits of the legacy fleet to bring it up to a uniform standard.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
I heard a story where two probationers in London straight off a cfbt course were dilligently pulsing carefully into the ceiling at a warehouse fire that was going well.
(14-04-2015, 09:46 PM)Brigade Wrote: We still use 45mm haven't gone down the road of 51mm although to confuse things we use 52mm for CAFs.

Every single length of hose in the whole of our brigade was replaced last year.

All new 70mm and 45mm was replaced with 51mm.
Helps explain the S class the supplier is driving!
This post has been repped by: Brigade (5),

(14-04-2015, 10:38 PM)civdef Wrote: I heard a story where two probationers in London straight off a cfbt course were dilligently pulsing carefully into the ceiling at a warehouse fire that was going well.

Seen that kind of thing myself with seasoned firefighters. just back from their first CFBT course and pulsing in an open hay barn fire.