This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

new squad cars
Yeah, AP you're right. It's about EU legislation, if you're going to be doing motorway work you must have battenburg.

It's just in my own opinion I think it looks more proactive than than the regular.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
Re the battenburg, can anybody find the ruling that says this. Or is it just something we copied from the brits? i have yet to see a pic of any european force using it. the german cop cars have a red chevron stripe for traffic units.
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
(15-01-2011, 04:59 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: Think its to do with motorway work and traffic cars. Doesn't make sense though as better visibility for the members, cars should be as visible as possible. We have 2 ambulances with full battenburg on the sides, well seen at night side on
Nope, not an EU thing, purely a British recommendation. Tests were carried out there to establish what gave maximum day and night visibility, thus "batterburger" arrived.
It was found that having the entire side ( not the half arsed attempt here) increased visibility above a standard stripe. However the same report also found that outlining the shape of the vehicle with narrow tape was actually more effective at night but less during daytime.
I have never seen battenburg on the continent, but maybe it exists.
Don't like the piebald look myself....
Might not be a ruling. Remember a Transport Officer telling me it was part of the CEN recommendations, thats a massive document, never checked it to see. The vehicle outlining is a very effective piece of vehicle livery, you will see alot of haulage trucks having the rear of the trailer taped and maybe the sides. Shows the size of the vehicle and stands out well at night as Brig says.

Anyhow how many station cars work close to a motorway and may have to respond to it or use it in the course of their duties? Is it down to cost the single strip design?
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Does anyone know the engine specs on these cars?
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
I'd imagine the 2.0 D4D diesel. The estate looks the business. Still not mad on the idea of the avensis though.
I'd like to get a look at the interior of one, see what way the radio/lights/siren are laid out
(15-01-2011, 06:51 PM)Scuba Wrote: Does anyone know the engine specs on these cars?

(15-01-2011, 07:04 PM)charliecroker Wrote: I'd imagine the 2.0 D4D diesel. The estate looks the business. Still not mad on the idea of the avensis though.

Yes, but what power output. Toyota, have a few different TDI engines in terms of power output, same engine I know, but different state of tune . . .turbos, throttle bodies, ecu's etc

I dont know.

The chrome trim around the window led me to hope it may be a higher spec car, which would have a more powerful engine?? An assumption I know, but a reasonable one.
'He who gives up Liberty for Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security".
Looks like alloys on the estate and standard rims on the saloon. Or is that just hubcaps!?
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!
Anyway of working it out based on what passing the car course/chiefs allows you to drive? The power output or something like that.

Anyway, here's what cartell has to say about it.

Registration 10D32560
Make TOYOTA
Model AVENSIS
Description NG 2.0 D4D TERRA 4DR
Fuel Type DIESEL
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
they look nice nothing like the mondeos... at least we will see these cars deployed to station soon19
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
The terra is the base model so I'd imagine that it'll come with the 125bhp. The 150bhp is a 2.2 litre
They seemed fairly standard motors looked well tho, if i'm over that way during the week will take some more pics of the interior etc. There was about 20 motors still to be converted more arriving on transporters & some finnished ones leaving. The blues when lit were 'well proper' roof lamps fantastic. Inside front screen mounted LEDs & front rear bumper mounted one all great. In all very impressed.

(will add some more to the flickr site)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/medic112/
(15-01-2011, 10:08 PM)emt816 Wrote: They seemed fairly standard motors looked well tho, if i'm over that way during the week will take some more pics of the interior etc. There was about 20 motors still to be converted more arriving on transporters & some finnished ones leaving. The blues when lit were 'well proper' roof lamps fantastic. Inside front screen mounted LEDs & front rear bumper mounted one all great. In all very impressed.

(will add some more to the flickr site)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/medic112/

Great pics, pm'd ya.
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
(15-01-2011, 09:10 PM)charliecroker Wrote: The terra is the base model so I'd imagine that it'll come with the 125bhp. The 150bhp is a 2.2 litre

Ya but the base model doesn't have the chrome surround on the windows does it?????

Thats what lead me to hope they may be based on a higher spec model.

I probably hope in vain though.
'He who gives up Liberty for Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security".
Guys found another pic on flicker (Credit dave_garda) as these arent mine

[attachment=318][attachment=319][attachment=320]
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
(16-01-2011, 03:04 PM)pogan Wrote: Guys found another pic on flicker (Credit dave_garda) as these arent mine

Very nice.Registration: 10D31838
Description: Opel Insignia SC 2.0cdti 160PS 5DR
Body Type: Estate
Colour: White
Fuel Type: Diesel
Transmission: Manual

AFAIK, the Avensis above is the 126bhp d4d model. The new LED's on the Opel look the jawb, on the bumper and the rear assy' look very well!!

The alloy's are on the Higher Spec car's.
Not my pic......

Garda Síochána Traffic Corp - Opel Insignia

More info on these. Where are the high power versions for AGS??

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/05/gm-...ation.html
They do look good especially the lightbar. Will make the difference in sunlight where the old blue lightbars are barely visible. We are expecting one car next month or so we are told.
thenog, joined Emergency Services Forum on Jan 2010.
Finally rid of the shoddy looking bubble light bars, They're good looking cars but we'll have to wait and see what they drive like before making any more comments.....If driving school said they're crap then i'd be worried about what will happen when they get into chases.
was talking to 2 traffic lads i know and they told me they getting new toyotas and that the mondeoes with low mileage i.e. 100,000ks are being re marked with regular livery and sent out. They are also marking up silver kias for traffic to replace landcruisers/izusu
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

[Image: SARGE300_zpsb3d5acad.png]
(18-01-2011, 02:19 AM)silop10 Wrote: was talking to 2 traffic lads i know and they told me they getting new toyotas and that the mondeoes with low mileage i.e. 100,000ks are being re marked with regular livery and sent out. They are also marking up silver kias for traffic to replace landcruisers/izusu

Will that be the v6's? Or the 4 cylinders?

The Kia's will look good. It's about time more than just white started being used. Every other police service in the world uses more than just white. Silver will look good with the battenburg markings and new light bars!