This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Blue light on private property
Are you aloud use a blue light flare when responding to medical emergency on private property. This private property is about 3.5-4 Km area. The landlord would no about it. Is this legal as it is on private property? Just looking for help as I looked all over the internet.
Thank you for your help.
If its a medical emergency would they not need to be moved by public road to a hospital?
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
I think the legislation refers to use on public roads but why or under what circumstances would you want to be using a blue light in the scenario outlined anyway?
(23-05-2015, 10:45 AM)Brigade Wrote: I think the legislation refers to use on public roads but why or under what circumstances would you want to be using a blue light in the scenario outlined anyway?

It is legal to have a blue light on a car on private property? Im just wondering?
Private property can also be a public road...
(23-05-2015, 10:43 AM)Administrator Wrote: If its a medical emergency would they not need to be moved by public road to a hospital?

Yes but to respond ahead of ALS as I am trained CFR and first Aid and could make the difference for example a cardiac call. My ETA from base to AED is 1 min 2 min max and to be on scene with in 3min could just safe a person. I have no intention what so ever to use blues on a public road. Its just a taught at the moment and im looking into it to see if its legal. If not then ill for get about it.
(23-05-2015, 11:03 AM)Jamie21 Wrote:
(23-05-2015, 10:43 AM)Administrator Wrote: If its a medical emergency would they not need to be moved by public road to a hospital?

Yes but to respond ahead of ALS as I am trained CFR and first Aid and could make the difference for example a cardiac call. My ETA from base to AED is 1 min 2 min max and to be on scene with in 3min could just safe a person. I have no intention what so ever to use blues on a public road. Its just a taught at the moment and im looking into it to see if its legal. If not then ill for get about it.
I'm not sure why you should need one on a private property? I'd imagine there wouldn't be a lot of traffic you would require to give way to you for an improved response.
As civdef correctly pointed out a "private area" can, by the meaning of the road traffic act be a public place. 

So the answer to your question is no......until you give more information as to the location.
“The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.”
― Albert Einstein
As @hooch said 

RTA clearly states that ONLY vehicles permitted to display blue emergency lighting ARE emergency services Vehicles which immaterial of public/private roads are free to use

More info and we'll give you a definitive answer 

But just for example if you were asking would it be permissible for a vehicle to use blue lighting in a place like malahide castle I'd have to say no, albeit open to correction here, as it's still a public place which the public have access to by right, so therefore UNLESS it's a totally private property where Joe Public has NO access to I'd go with @Hooch and the RTA and say no blue lights

Bit more info though @jamie21
Sorry but HOW many copies of this do you want????
Right

Private property.....public road

Airport police

Discuss
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Good point. There may be something under the air navigation act
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
They're a private emergency service and they're not supposed to operate outside the confines of the airport even though we all have heard stories of them pulling people over outside the airport

They are DAA employees but they have their own legislation within the confines of the property belonging to DAA even though it's public property

Likewise with the fire and ambulance services within the airport 

They're ALL classified as emergency services and would fall under the legislation as such

Joeys ARENT airport security they're Airport Police and that's why they're covered for carrying PPE too 
Sorry but HOW many copies of this do you want????
Are you referring to something akin to a large estate, involving a golf course / activity centre perhaps ?
Proudly Confounding everyone since 2006. [Image: eck13.gif]
(23-05-2015, 02:49 PM)jmcd432 Wrote: They're a private emergency service and they're not supposed to operate outside the confines of the airport even though we all have heard stories of them pulling people over outside the airport

They are DAA employees but they have their own legislation within the confines of the property belonging to DAA even though it's public property

Likewise with the fire and ambulance services within the airport 

They're ALL classified as emergency services and would fall under the legislation as such

Joeys ARENT airport security they're Airport Police and that's why they're covered for carrying PPE too 
Still a public road

The ambos are covered as theyre phecc registered. Fire probably not. The fire appliances are mostly confined to airside areas tho. Bar the domestic tenders.

Nothing in the air transport navigation act about blues

Also. As for ppe they only carry cuffs. Which any member of the public can legally own and carry (oooeeerr missus). They dont carry ASPs or Spray.
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Airports not private property anymore than a night club, hospital or Garda station are. There's millions of people walking through it daily without permission. There's private areas but the aerodrome is public.

The Air navigation act covers the confines of the aerodrome not just the building but in regards ppe, there is no allowance in it for batons or lights by the joeys that I have seen. Anyone can wear a vest and carry cuffs after all. But my opinions on policing in Dublin airport are well enough known.

In regards the op. I think provided it's a fully private facility and your not committing any direct offence under the RTA or impersonation etc then yes, as weird and pointless as it seems for your scenario its legal.
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
Isnt DAA the Phecc approved organisation? In that case I think they could put beebaws on any of their vehicles the way its worded.
OP, ask your insurance company and see what they say about using a blue light on your private vehicle for a voluntary role with no legal exemption. Also, what do the guidelines for the CFR scheme say about using them?

Finally, not really a cfr scheme but similar circumstances, and not a single blue light involved.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...7191173487
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
I'm only asking for advice the site is a large caravan site with approx 5-600 caravans and covers an estimated permiter of 4km. There's one enter & exit point and is well off the road. On entry to the site is only for caravan owners and any one else is trespassing. Guys does this info help?
If you speed in a caravan site your a god damn moron.

Nothing to do with lights, job or reason its too dangerous an environment.

As for legality, I would think it is a public road as per rta. Grey area but that's my opinion
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
Ok I can actually answer this on the public road part anyway. I use to live in a private housing estate with 1 way in and out. One of the neighbours wanted to do something (street party) that required the road to be closed so he checked with the local station who looked into it for him. What came back was the even though it is in a private estate it is still a public road as members of the public have access to it. It does not matter if they are supposed or be there or not once there is access it is public. The only way to make a road truly private is to gate it so the public do not have natural access and only the people who are supposed to be there have the ability to open the gate. The gate must remain closed and locked at all times other than for access and egress and must be locked again after.

As for the Blue light question. Jamie most verified members on here are trained blue light drivers and I don't think any of us would speed through a caravan park because we have blues.

Questions.

1/ Are you trained in Blue Light driving.

2/ Are you insured to drive under blue lights.

3/ Will the blue light be physically removed from your vehicle when you drive it on a public road?

4/ Do you know the legislation regarding Blue Light driving?

If you are speeding to help someone who has had a heart attack and by doing so you kill someone else how do you think that will make you feel.
 photo BBGOODMANROUND.png