This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Dog Licence
I just recieved a letter from the local Council to renew my licences for my two dogs. I'll be paying it no problem but it has gotten me thinking what am I actually paying for. My driver licence show that I can drive certain types of vehicles and is valid for years. I even understand, might not agree with, the TV licence fee. But what am I paying for with a dog licence?
It's a way of registering dogs with local council. The council is meant to have been building a database of microchipped dogs so if one goes missing they can be followed back to the owner
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
It's a way of registering dogs with local council. The council is meant to have been building a database of microchipped dogs so if one goes missing they can be followed back to the owner
Volunteers Are Unpaid , Not Because They Are Worthless. But Because They  Are Priceless !!!
So I get to pay 20 euro per dog per year so the council can have a register. Looks like a tax of cuteness/loyalty to me. Pure money making scam more like it.
(10-10-2015, 01:57 PM)EchoNovember85 Wrote: It's a way of registering dogs with local council. The council is meant to have been building a database of microchipped dogs so if one goes missing they can be followed back to the owner

But sure the microchips have only become a requirement this year. The Control of Dogs act had been there for 20 years and you've needed a dog licence since 1922 or thereabouts...
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
[Image: judge_dredd_its_the_law_low.jpg]
You can register your dogs details free. It's separate to the licensing system
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Oh well that was the reason the dog warden told me :P
It pays for the dog warden and dog pounds supposedly

Same way motor tax pays for the upkeep of roads....

It goes into the Local authority main fund and pays for what they see fit.

Sure if 10% of dogs in this country are licensed I'd be amazed
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Dog warden himself told me that there no point in paying it unless they come to collect it apparently they do spot checks on areas every 3 years haha
I'll be paying mine. As Blackbolt said "It's The Law!" A stupid law, but the law none the less.
Microchipping doesn't become mandatory until March, Madra or someone had an awareness month during September with some vets doing free chipping or chips at a reduced price. I got my fella done. All details of dogs chipped are going towards some national database although my vet wasn't sure how it will work. You get a very out in the post once the register the chip. As mentioned the dog licence is something desperate and supposedly pays for the pound/warden. I used get one for my dog but haven't in a few years.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
I've never had a dog license and I never will......and if a dog warden ever tackles me on it I'll bring him to the local halting site.....just so we can all be treated equally.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
if you take a dog from the pound and get the license there and then you can get a voucher for chipping, neutering, etc. Costs 30 quid with the voucher compared to 100?+ otherwise

Just a little tip and encouragement to consider the pound should you be getting a new dog  19
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about Verification or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
The chip is worth it. A friend of mines dog ran off during a walk after be frightened by a loud noise. Spent all night searching for it. Next morning he got a call from a local vet, dog had been handed in and he was able to trace the owner using the chip. My two are chipped.
It was free chipping all last month. I got the dog done.

The vet wouldn't do the bloody kids though 59
Why don't you need a licence for cats or snakes??
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
Indeed. I know of a station where there was arguments over licensing snakes to let them on a plane  22
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
you have two dogs harry?

I wouldn't let ya keep ladybirds.
........"its not our area"
I have two dogs, Lenny and Carl, great pups. Costing me a fortune is furniture, so much destructions, €20 for a license is a drop in the ocean.