This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Call to make emergency packs mandatory for drivers
Quote:The Garda Commissioner has proposed the creation of a new motoring offence to penalise drivers who fail to carry special emergency equipment in their cars.

According to documents released under the Freedom of Information Act, gardaí want to make it an offence not to carry a working torch, breakdown triangle, high-visibility vest, first-aid kit and a fire extinguisher at all times while driving.

Earlier this year the Road Safety Authority held a public consultation about the possible introduction of emergency packs in private cars.

As part of this, the Garda Commissioner was contacted and asked for her view.

In correspondence released under FOI, a superintendent at the Garda Commissionerâ€s office recommended that Ireland should introduce legislation similar to that in France, where it is compulsory to carry emergency packs in cars.

Gardaí say the packs should include a quality working torch, a warning triangle, high visibility vest, a first-aid kit and a small fire extinguisher.

The items would cost around €40-50.

Gardaí want to see the creation of a new road traffic offence with on the spot fines for drivers who fail to carry the items in their cars.

They say penalty points could also be considered at a later stage to help with enforcement.

Gardaí believe the inclusion of emergency packs in cars would go a long way towards improving safety at roadside collisions, particularly in rural areas with poor lighting conditions.

A spokesperson for the Department of Justice said the terms of the judgment were now being considered by the gardaí in consultation iwth all relevant agencies.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0921/729213-emergency-packs/

What are your opinions on this?

Personally I think it's an idea with good intentions but it's not likely to make any real impact. Anyone forced to carry a first aid kit by law isn't likely to use it. Besides I doubt there's anything in a first aid kit that an untrained person would use to make a blind bit of difference to a patient before the arrival of an ambulance.

I'd also wonder how effective a small fire extinguisher really is for a vehicle fire. The rest of the stuff is fairly common sense but again it's not going to make a whole lot of difference in the vast majority of cases.
(22-10-2015, 11:11 PM)Kevin Wrote:
Quote:The Garda Commissioner has proposed the creation of a new motoring offence to penalise drivers who fail to carry special emergency equipment in their cars.

According to documents released under the Freedom of Information Act, gardaí want to make it an offence not to carry a working torch, breakdown triangle, high-visibility vest, first-aid kit and a fire extinguisher at all times while driving.

Earlier this year the Road Safety Authority held a public consultation about the possible introduction of emergency packs in private cars.

In correspondence released under FOI, a superintendent at the Garda Commissionerâ€s office recommended that Ireland should introduce legislation similar to that in France, where it is compulsory to carry emergency packs in cars.

Gardaí say the packs should include a quality working torch, a warning triangle, high visibility vest, a first-aid kit and a small fire extinguisher.

Gardaí want to see the creation of a new road traffic offence with on the spot fines for drivers who fail to carry the items in their cars.

They say penalty points could also be considered at a later stage to help with enforcement.

Gardaí believe the inclusion of emergency packs in cars would go a long way towards improving safety at roadside collisions, particularly in rural areas with poor lighting conditions.

A spokesperson for the Department of Justice said the terms of the judgment were now being considered by the gardaí in consultation iwth all relevant agencies.

Personally I think it's an idea with good intentions but it's not likely to make any real impact. Anyone forced to carry a first aid kit by law isn't likely to use it. Besides I doubt there's anything in a first aid kit that an untrained person would use to make a blind bit of difference to a patient before the arrival of an ambulance.

I'd also wonder how effective a small fire extinguisher really is for a vehicle fire. The rest of the stuff is fairly common sense but again it's not going to make a whole lot of difference in the vast majority of cases.
The only advantage I see is if a trained person is walking or on a bike for example comes across an incident be it a RTA or whatever knows they can get one from any car at scene....gettin the owner to part company with it is a different kettle of fish

At most a dressing and a pair of gloves to control serious bleeding

Also....after 2 years everything will be out of date...if not stored properly stuff will disintegrate too

Extinguishers in cars will encourage people to have a go at putting out car fires!

Warning triangles and hivis without a doubt

Those little hockey puck led strobes you can get are handy yokes too. Picked up a couple in lidl a few months ago for €6. Be handy if I ever broke down or to fire on the road if I came across an RTA or whatever. Havent used them for real yet. Had a play and threw them in the boot

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
JUST CALL ME PROBIE
Who doesn't carry the basics? Fucking air heads is who!

Look at it this way, the law may help in some way but it certainly won't hurt

Sent from my IM-A840S using Tapatalk
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.
(22-10-2015, 11:27 PM)EMTeabreak Wrote:
(22-10-2015, 11:11 PM)Kevin Wrote:

The only advantage I see is if a trained person is walking or on a bike for example comes across an incident be it a RTA or whatever knows they can get one from any car at scene....gettin the owner to part company with it is a different kettle of fish

At most a dressing and a pair of gloves to control serious bleeding

Also....after 2 years everything will be out of date...if not stored properly stuff will disintegrate too

Extinguishers in cars will encourage people to have a go at putting out car fires!

Warning triangles and hivis without a doubt

Those little hockey puck led strobes you can get are handy yokes too. Picked up a couple in lidl a few months ago for €6. Be handy if I ever broke down or to fire on the road if I came across an RTA or whatever. Havent used them for real yet. Had a play and threw them in the boot

Yet still no sign of giving us ability to issue a Fixed Penalty for bald/defective tyres....we were able to issue tickets for this under old system but since that system wasn't broken some numpty decided to fix it and hence the shambles we are stuck with now! As usual, the only thing Ireland does monumentally good are the fuckups!! 😀

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
I think it's a brilliant idea, it means I've a car goes on fire an car near it will have an extinguisher so one might do little but 10 or more might stop it especially if a person is trapped. With apps like the Red Cross one showing people what to do with injuries having first aid kits around is never bad. The kit above has been carried by taxis and other PSVs for the last 5 odd years and I know a few that have used it or given stuff to a mule who was stuck
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
two questions and two statements.

who is going to police this? IE who is going to check that drivers comply

who is going to pay the medical bills when have a go Henry's cause more injury because they have no idea what they are doing but have "one of them first aids kits" in the car which they paid for and a damn well gonna use it.

A full size fire extinguisher at full tilt last for around 12 seconds so i will leave it to your imagination how long a small one lasts.

I hope that the burns unit in hospitals gear up for a lot of business and the NAS get a lot more Ambulances on the run.

well I hope the second part of my second statement happens anyway.
Who gets to say what my first aid kit is to include? Can I get away with carrying a pair of gloves and call it a first aid kit? And as I recall I have no duty of care, so I can have my first aid kit but doesn't mean I have to use it. Not to sound difficult but I don't think it's a practical idea. 

A question for the Gardai. Do I have to open my boot at a checkpoint or if I am pulled over?
Warning triangle, torch and hi-viz are a good idea. First aid kit and extinguisher are a nonsense idea

The last first aid kit in a vehicle I saw was in a Garda car.
It had two triangular bandages a foil blanket and a safety pin in it.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...
Well I can assure you they are all correct now!

Harry there are BS (British standards) used for first aid kits in taxis. They are not over baring. In relation to inspections of vehicles it's covered under various acts so you can be required to I'm certain circumstances
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!