This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Policing in Ireland vs NYPD
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
What's the fascination with people wanting to arm traffic members? Traffic are good at whatever it is they do. 

I think in America putting a uniformed counterterrorism unit on the streets is s good idea and it gives peace of mind to the public. It's not needed here, we have the ERU and RSU, they don't need to be called anything different. It'd really be bypassing our needs and scaring the shite out of the public
Because traffic are that good at shooting already!
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(04-12-2015, 03:47 PM)vidar Wrote: Because traffic are that good at shooting already!

Yea shooting fish in a barrel
(04-12-2015, 03:47 PM)vidar Wrote: Because traffic are that good at shooting already!

Qualified snipers on a speed gun.

Able to camoflage themselves as a bus shelter or lampost
(04-12-2015, 01:09 PM)thehawk Wrote: What's the fascination with people wanting to arm traffic members? Traffic are good at whatever it is they do. 

I think in America putting a uniformed counterterrorism unit on the streets is s good idea and it gives peace of mind to the public. It's not needed here, we have the ERU and RSU, they don't need to be called anything different. It'd really be bypassing our needs and scaring the shite out of the public

I think currently public in Ireland have no clue about policing. I think they need to scary the shite out of to be honest, it works at checkpoint everyone talks armed gardas at it etc

People have no idea of the reasons for checkpoints, they complaint they don't see a Garda let's make things more shocking

Dog units on the streets during Busy nights!

Let's say something happens here

Every unit put on 12 hour shifts and double up then

Why do we need 9,000 in DF and only 12,000 ( ish) in the ags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
Correct the a lot of the public haven't a clue about policing, until something happens and then they are quick to say what we should have done.

We only have about 15 dogs in the country so unfortunately not possible to put them out on the beat. They do go out in Dublin on busy weekends with the horses.
lets be honest to police the country properly we would need in the region of 18,000 members, the re-opening of small local stations and a modernization the likes of which would make senior officers shiver!
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
(05-12-2015, 06:37 PM)vidar Wrote: lets be honest to police the country properly we would need in the region of 18,000 members, the re-opening of small local stations and a modernization the likes of which would make senior officers shiver!

This. If the NYPD patrolled Ireland's streets with their resources and their officer to public ratio for a single week the public wouldn't know what hit them..
After last night's incident in Leytonstone tube station there is a need for more access to taser than we have at present.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Every member should be taser equipped. Simple as that!
"Private Number Calling" - As if im going to answer that!!!