This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

unpublished report states DFB should retain Ambulance Service and Dispatch service
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/re...-1.2465340

Quote:Responsibility for funding Dublinâ€s ambulance service should be removed from the HSE and taken over by the Department of the Environment, an unpublished report says.
It says Dublin Fire Brigade should retain full control of 999 emergency calls and dispatching ambulances in the city. Transferring these to the HSEâ€s National Ambulance Service (NAS) as called for by both Dublin City Council and the HSE, would “have an adverse effect on patient care”.
The report, a publication date for which has yet to be set, was commissioned by the council to address concerns highlighted by the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa) in December last year.
The fire brigade provides ambulances in Dublin, while the NAS provides ambulances outside, with some overlap on the outskirts of the capital. Both operate their own call and dispatch centres.
Hiqa expressed “serious concern” about the “disjointed” relationship between the fire brigade and the NAS, which it said could delay ambulances.
“As a matter of urgency, both services must act to ensure that there is a fully integrated ambulance service in the greater Dublin area,” said Hiqa.
In response, the council – which manages the fire brigade – and the HSE said control of all ‘999†calls and dispatching of fire brigade ambulances would transfer to the NAS. Clinical governance of Dublinâ€s ambulance service would also be taken over by the NAS.
Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan later withdrew the plan, to allow consultation. A four-person panel, chaired by retired fire brigade chief fire-officer, Stephen Brady, was appointed to consider submissions from the HSE, the council, fire brigade management and unions.
Its report contains recommendations which will “present major challenges for all parties”, it says.
“If agreed and implemented they will provide a necessary framework towards addressing the concerns in the Hiqa report and achieving a first-rate clinically focused pre-hospital emergency care service.”
The fire brigadeâ€s ambulance service is majority funded by the HSE through a service level agreement with the council. The council has for many years been dissatisfied with the allocation from the HSE.
“It is clear,” says the report, “. . . the historical funding arrangements have not been effective”. It says the fire brigade should be funded wholly by the Department of the Environment.
“This is necessary to ensure clarity regarding responsibility, control and accountability. Critically we believe this will encourage more effective service delivery for the patient and greater efficiency for the exchequer.”
So a report written by a panel chaired by a retired CFO thinks that the the fire service should take over all EMS in the capital. That's a surprise.
(14-12-2015, 12:44 PM)HarryPotter Wrote: So a report written by a panel chaired by a retired CFO thinks that the the fire service should take over all EMS in the capital. That's a surprise.

And commissioned by Dublin City Council....
(14-12-2015, 07:06 PM)wex-eire Wrote: And commissioned by Dublin City Council....

...............who want rid of the ambulance service and only agreed to the report after the City Manager was put under savage pressure to hold off on the decisions he and senior HSE managers had clandestinely agreed together without input from any dissenting opinions.

The surprising thing is they agreed to the ex CFO being involved in the report.
Elections are a coming

Sent using Tapatalk from my Totem Pole and Apache Axe
The man who never made a mistake never made anything!
None of the people on the committee are politicians or are seeking election. What's your point ? The committee was chaired b an ex CFO but consisted of an asst. CEO of DCC who directly works for Own Keegan, a former CEO of Ambulance service executive association In The UK (The NAS/HSE appointee) and one other person. At the start of the whole process only 1 of those people expressed an opinion of wanting DFB to keep the ambulance service. Yet somehow it's a fix ? One things for sure, there can only be 1 ambulance service in Dublin because the system is wholly dysfunctional and dangerous. In that respect HIQA were bang on the money. At this point in time I'd say DCC CEO is eating his mickey
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
(15-12-2015, 12:15 AM)The Gap Wrote:  At this point in time I'd say DCC CEO is eating his mickey

I think thats already eaten from the WRC decision on forcing him to recruit. I'd say he's on his ballbag now
(14-12-2015, 12:44 PM)HarryPotter Wrote: So a report written by a panel chaired by a retired CFO thinks that the the fire service should take over all EMS in the capital. That's a surprise.

so where lays the problem, they have been running the ems for over 150yrs, far longer than and health board or other ambulance service has in this country.
(15-12-2015, 12:15 AM)The Gap Wrote: None of the people on the committee are politicians or are seeking election. What's your point ?

My point is election is on the horizon and the report will be used or shelved depending on the mood of the government
It was meant to be released in Sept and still hasn't been out, been leaked is one way of trying to force its disclosure.

http://m.independent.ie/life/health-well...68602.html

(15-12-2015, 06:34 PM)Actual Paramedic Wrote: http://m.independent.ie/life/health-well...68602.html

I'm sick to the back teeth of people quoting the amount of physical vehicles as some sort of measurement of our ambulance service. If we had the 250 odd ambulances the good doctor who wrote the article speaks about on the road and crewed at the same time we'd be like taxis in Camden St on a Saturday night. When are these spanners going to realise that the only correct measurement of coverage is the amount of crewed ambulances on duty. The amount of pyhsical vehicles parked up for the night unused is irrellevant.

The situation is even worse than this guy thinks
The amount of crews on duty would be a better figure yes, but showing that we only have a small fleet in comparison to another country is not unreasonable. I am unsure the doctor had access to that information of how many are on duty at set times and being able to compare with Wales.

He could have compared us with the North and shown a worse comparison. Sadly the emergency services in this country are woefully underfunded, resourced and managed.

More money, staff and fleet needed. In some areas there is less cover now than there was 25 years ago