This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Its that time of year again, when we are getting ready for Christmas, family and Santa. Sadly not everyone will be looking forward with anticipation, instead simple hoping for food, warmth or a small present. Thankfully there are goups like 'Little Blue Heroes' and 'Barnados' out there. Both help the youngest and most vulnerable in society and this Christmas we ask that you join us in making a donation at https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate/ or https://www.barnardos.ie/christmas

Keeping Communities Safe Dispute
http://www.siptu.ie/media/pressreleases2...49_en.html

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room...80%9D.html

A hugely important agreement for the future direction of the Fire Service in Ireland. The operational staff now have a direct input in future strategic policy decisions. The expertise at an operational level will finally get a proper say in changes to our service. I've read the document and basically an implementation group has been set up which will be responsible for studying and researching all future proposals. The group is made up of 7 people from the the CFO's, DOE and LGMA and 7 people from Siptu and Impact along with an Indepandant chair. They will be able to set up expert committees and get technical guidance on all aspects of new plans etc. The plan is that the body will work together in the best interests of the Fire Service.

There is however a dispute process and a fallback to the Workplace Relations Commission.

From what I've seen we've basically now got a proper say in the future direction of fire servcies nationally and will continue to have this say. The days of the DOE writing up a unilateral document that receives input only from senior civil servants and senior officers is hopefully gone
It's certainly a very welcome development and one I know that an awful lot of hard work was put into by the reps involved. Hopefully the future is a fit for purpose fire and rescue service.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Well done to all who have or in a lot of hard work into getting us this far. At least now we have a voice and can hopefully influence positive change in the job going forward.
We are the willing, led by the unknowning, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
It is a fantastic document in fairness
willcork, joined Emergency Services Forum in Feb 2010.
I agree. Rather than just going in and renegotiating KCS our reps have achieved something which is much more long term than that. KCS or whatever replaces it will be planned under the new system and we will then have a say in all future changes.

I think it was a very forward thinking approach. It has been signed by the Minister along with a load of senior officials and our union reps both retained and fulltime. Any future Minister that wishes to renege on it will look pretty bad
Some interesting topics up for discussion, e.g. medical co-responding.
i think at last there is light at the end of the tunnel.
If, and I say, if the agreement is implemented in good faith by both sides then their is real hope for the future. The proper development of the fire service instead of one vested groups opinion of how it should develop, should create a service fit for the future.
A massive amount of work went into creating the agreement and the ironic thing is that without the disasters is way that KCS was implemented, there would in all truth probably never have been any agreement like it.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are filled with doubts while the stupid people are full of confidence...