This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

HSE twitter account
I've decided to post here about the continuous rubbish the hse ambulance twitter account is publishing, every day its either photos of hse crew taking photos of women who have given birth or advertising that they responded to an incident that they've got rosc.

I think it deplorable that they should be advertising what they are paid and trained to do, its like a GP getting on twitter and patting themselves on the back for diagnosing a strep throat!!! plus there's the added fact of advertising conditions of patients conditions.

Taking into fact that alot of local people would have seen and  be aware of an ambulance on scene of an incident in a local area, then they can read all about the patients condition on the NAS twitter feed.

Patient confidentiality has to be called into question.

I wouldnt say its really PR more than its advertising a job well done, most companies will do this and in many ways I think the public sector doesnt do it enough.

Dont Ryanair play a recording when they land on time, McDonalds have employees of the month, etc?
Before contacting us, please read our Help section especially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my best to help.
Whilst I take your point I'm on the fence with this, I believe strongly in highlighting the good work of all ES but also see an important line that should never be crossed. Good PR for a service that can be bashed at times is okay in my mind. 

Now I'm open to debate and all sides on this but at this point I didn't really see anything wrong in the links above myself. I'd imagine Mum in the third photo gave permission to have the pic and info shared. 

I also consider the power of social media and how more and more services have to work at keeping connected to the community. We see all to often how the community can be so negative to the services and so highlighting anything positive can counteract the scum so hell bent on bashing all the services I hope.
"Choose to be great, choose to be powerful beyond measure"
Email me Here
The Couch, an area to discuss issues of Welfare, Discipline, Peer Support and Concern
Stresskills for further articles and information
so who on earth decides!! hey mammy i know your after just giving birth but can we take a photo??? and since when did we get the go ahead from senior management todo this or have they endorsed advertising people conditions.
I think METAMB is totally overreacting.....sure it's about time we got some positive PR for a change instead of the usual media bashing we get!  DFB have been using social media in a positive way for years.....and I'm sure the lady gave her permission to use the image.

Well done and keep it up I say.
It's not the HSE's opinion, it's not managements opinion, it's mine. All mine.
well time will tell, when the first complaint comes in about some person in charge of the twitter PR and senior management for discussing a crew getting a patient in arrest back and the family take exception to the the fact.
everyone is entitled to confidentiality
also the DFB are a totally pr machine, its generally public interest tweets. not personal medical information
Personal medical information?? Where?
I think it's a good thing if managed right and becoming international practice to increase awareness of what an ES does. Some elements of society are happy to put a picture up on social media of an ES vehicle parked up outside a chipper and imply that's all they do all day. Without awareness that's what people will see and believe.

It can also be used to promote a safety message from an incident - CPR training, smoke alarms, Lifejackets, speeding.
(19-01-2016, 09:05 PM)MRX Wrote: Personal medical information?? Where?

i read recently on NAS twitter that a crew transported a patient to the ppci with a good result, that in itself with a location in a rural area tells locals who have any sort of knowledge that they're neighbor has had an STEMI. and maybe that patient doesn't want others to know their personal details because in a rural area your neighbour could have been the person who sold you life insurance last year!!!
think about the repercussions.

now a transfer within the dublin area happen possibly 5/6 times a day, and it no big deal, but if you have a patient in bally go back wards in dunno peninsula who calls an ambulance and expects to be treated in confidence and a neighbour spots the ambulance then reads it on the NAS ambulance twitter page the next day that there was a successful patient transfer from that region its only common sense that someone in the locality will put 2 and 2 together, there for exposing the patients details.and from what i see alot of details are given out by control room staff, who really haven't a clue about on the road incidence and experience and only see it from a screen and try make themselves out to be more important then they're call taker jobsworth.
its only time when someone will complains!!
I have to disagree metamb1,  while you would suggest that going to RTC, OHCA and baby delivery is our job,  and it is.  A lot of people don't know what the service does or can do.  Most people only hear of the fire service attending RTC's and the patient was taken to hospital (by magic,  no mention of NAS)  rosc from OHCA is not an everyday occurrence and should be celebrated,  the NAS one life project is specifically aimed at improving OHCA survival.  With the project maybe rosc will become more common place.  It is something that the NAS has a direct impact on through the role out of CFR groups and phone directed CPR prior to ambulance arrival.  Babies are good news stories and add a personal element to the work we do which can be shared as most people want to share the good news of the birth of their child. It's good PR,  the Fire Service are excellent at it, and as a result NAS was left behind in the eyes of the public as a second class service to that of DFB.  I personally think it is a good thing that we have a presence on SoMe.  I do agree that care should be taken to ensure that patient identifiers are removed and general locations used.  Your concern about life insurance is a bit of a stretch...  The life insurance company will find out either way,  and for you don't tell them you won't be covered anyway.  As someone who works in a small community,  I can assure you the whole place will know what has happened with or without twitter.  And I don't think there is enough patient information to comprise patient confidentiality.  I can assure you that senior management are well aware of the content of the twitter account.... And twitter account  has been signed off by HSE press office after a long process.  I think it can be powerful tool if used correctly.  I agree with you that great care should be taken to ensure that patients privacy is maintained,  but it is important as a service that we publish our work to increase our profile in the community so that we can move from a place of ambulance driver to that of Health care Professionals
METMAB, you're totally over the top. Tell me the percentage of calls you go to that have the usual "curtain twitchers" in housing estates? In my experience it's over 90%. The whole estate knows what's going on before we've even left the scene. 

What about all the RNLI pages? AGS? Rescue 115/116/117/118? DFB? Aer Corp 112? Will we take them all down too?

If you think that NAS might be bordering on identification due to location then what about all the helicopters that do (maybe) one call a day? Who do we keep that confidential? 

I think your argument is invalid and I'll say it again, I hope this tactic goes from strength to strength and shows us in a positive light instead of the usual negativity we get.
Having looked at the tweets again I'm inclined to agree with MRX and those in favour. 

If it said John Adams of Es Street caught his penis in the Hoover I'd agree that such tweets would break confidentiality but as said when an ambulance calls its common place for everyone to know. 

You'd be hard pressed to go online, find the tweet and then try and assess who are what happened, the tweets offer little by way of personal info. As for the baby picture, I believe Mam has that choice until said baby is 18.
"Choose to be great, choose to be powerful beyond measure"
Email me Here
The Couch, an area to discuss issues of Welfare, Discipline, Peer Support and Concern
Stresskills for further articles and information
yes i agree in certain rural areas or even urban settings alot of the locals would eventually find out what has happened to their neighbour, but that doesn't mean the service provider has to assist in divulging information for the benefit of trying to up the profile of a service that everyone knows what an ambulance service does.
As i said at the start, you don't see other medical professionals advertising there achievements for the benefit of social media.
I'll ask again......how are they divulging information? Where in any of the tweets is there ANY breech of patient confidentiality?? As regards your point .........."trying to up the profile of a service that everyone knows what an ambulance service does"......I for one thinks we DO need to big it up, because even in 2016 we are still being called Ambulance Drivers and not only by the public but by other "Healthcare Professionals" too......open any media story, "Gardai and Fire Service are at the scene".......but the patient was transported obviously on a flying carpet to the ED!!

You might be happy to do what you do and forever remain a pimple on the arse of the rest of the services but I'm not and anything that gives the public an awareness of what we do then I'm all for it......and maybe, just maybe in the future it may go towards us getting recognition at a higher level when it comes to pay and conditions......and who knows, it might even result in a drop in calls where granny is waiting at the gate with her little overnight case packed.

In Australia the most respected profession is "Paramedic"........that'll do me. And just to piss you off I'm going to retweet the bollox off all the NAS tweets!!  148 148 148
Im all for NAS tweeting/ Facebooking the bollox out successfull stories, We do not divulge any personal information whatsever so i do not see the problem?? 
NAS needs the PR because we are being left behind b the other services promoting good successfull outcomes for patients!
We in NEOC are always pushing for successfull stories to be published with consent of course :-)
This is a signature
Have to agree with X. It's about time we promoted ourselves in a positive light
E-mail or  PM me.

Irish medic, Moderator,
Emergency services forum