This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

DNR
Hi what's the current status with regards to DNR'S in Ireland
What do you mean?  Are there DNRs in Ireland?  Yes.
If it was issued outside the country is it still legal here
No.  It is only valid if issued by the patients doctor here.   And it must be recent and valid.  It may change in the near future as there is new legislation coming in about consent that may legalise living wills or personal DNRs.  But I don't know enough about to comment.
Ok great thanks for the reply
Here's the PHECC guideline for registered pre hospital practitioners DNR guidelines. It quite clearly says it must be recent and signed by The patients doctor. Any document from outside the state is not valid in these particular circumstances.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Thanks but I'm not a registered EMT only OFA and was just wondering incase I came across it in the line of duty
(03-02-2016, 07:00 PM)tmac123 Wrote: Thanks but I'm not a registered EMT only OFA and was just wondering incase I came across it in the line of duty

It's a scenario often discussed and sometimes trained for, but realistically the chances of coming across a DNR even as an EMT is very slim. Perhaps as an ICO but i still think its unlikely it would have to be implemented.
(04-02-2016, 12:55 AM)sprinter22 Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 07:00 PM)tmac123 Wrote: Thanks but I'm not a registered EMT only OFA and was just wondering incase I came across it in the line of duty

It's a scenario often discussed and sometimes trained for, but realistically the chances of coming across a DNR even as an EMT is very slim. Perhaps as an ICO but i still think its unlikely it would have to be implemented.

ICOs have to deal with them regularly enough,  a lot of nursing home patients have them or I should say....  Should have them.
(04-02-2016, 12:59 AM)coastguardsteve Wrote:
(04-02-2016, 12:55 AM)sprinter22 Wrote:

ICOs have to deal with them regularly enough,  a lot of nursing home patients have them or I should say....  Should have them.

yeah but how often would an ico have to actually deal with an elderly resident arresting in their ambulance. I just figured they wouldn't be doing transfers with palliative patients and it would be rare for a transfer to arrest unexpectedly. Perhaps im wrong.
[/quote]

yeah but how often would an ico have to actually deal with an elderly resident arresting in their ambulance. I just figured they wouldn't be doing transfers with palliative patients and it would be rare for a transfer to arrest unexpectedly. Perhaps im wrong.
[/quote]

A number of vol orgs throughout the country do assist with local hospice to home transfers. Ideally they should have the patients DNR status recorded and what is the agreed plan if the patient does die en route. I agree it is rare for these patients to arrest unexpectedly, but it is best to have discussed with the patients doctor, especially as starting resus efforts is probably not appropriate.