This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Importance of CPR Training
Quote:CPR training ‘does work... it will save a life’ says hero Garda

A garda yesterday highlighted the importance of first-responder skills after saving a publican’s life.
Garda Paul Ruby was hailed a hero in Co Kerry after a former publican collapsed in a car park.
The Cork-born garda, based in Killorglin, was alerted by colleagues after Jim O’Shea suffered a cardiac arrest.
Gda Ruby had recently completed his recertification as a first responder, with advanced skills.
“I can’t advocate enough for people to have training in CPR,” he said after the daytime drama. “It does work, it is effective.
“I remained calm. And I stress to everybody who encounters a situation like that to remain calm.”
The 39-year-old garda spent 25 minutes working on Mr O’Shea who eventually came around and is now recovering in Kerry University Hospital.
The pair met on Wednesday when the garda visited the patient at the Tralee hospital.
“It was a great privilege. We met in much better circumstances than we did the day before,” he said.
Mr O’Shea, living locally, had stopped on Tuesday to chat with two other gardaí in the Fair Field car park in the town centre, when his eyes closed and he suddenly collapsed.
The gardai immediately summoned their colleague to the scene.
At that stage, father of three Mr O’Shea was lying on the ground, unconscious.
Gda Ruby said anyone faced with a dilemma, of someone having a heart attack or unconscious, should “remain calm”.
He also advocated more people, if not everyone, in local communities should familiarise themselves with the whereabouts of defibrillator devices, even if they do not have CPR skills.
Killorglin has a number of defibrillators and some bystanders knew there was one nearby in the CYMS hall.
The cardiac ambulance had also been called.
Gda Ruby said he did not notice the time involved, 25 minutes, as time had become irrelevant.
“Adrenalin and wanting to save someone’s life kicks in,” he said.
The garda said members of a men’s shed project were also on hand and they too had been trained in CPR.
“It was a team effort,” he said modestly.
Originally from Blarney, Gda Ruby has been based in Kerry for a number of years.
He said that many gardaí have first-responder skills. However, he added that everyone should have such training.
Mr O’Shea is married to Breda and they formerly ran the Vintage Inn in Killorglin. They have three daughters, Gráinne, Kerry, and Tara, who is in Australia.
Mr O’Shea’s family have met with the garda and want to arrange another meeting with him.
Gráinne O’Shea said: “Only for Garda Ruby and where my father was, he wouldn’t be here today.
“We are so grateful. He saved my father’s life.”

Irish Examiner
http://www.esforum.org - Home of the real emergency service personnel.

http://www.facebook.com/emergencysf
Great stuff, when all the links in the chain are present it really does work well.
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Great Work!  22
The best gift you can give to someone is your time, because you are giving them something you can never get back.
CPR works, certainly does but its saying something when you consider the only reason I know my training is out of date is because of Vinny Jones on a UK ad

the sheep don't like the dog, until the wolf appears
Often the sheep do not like the sheepdog,  until the wolf comes.  Then the sheep try to hide behind the sheepdog, begging for his protection.